How to Decide If You Should Replace Your Windows
105 total views, 3 views today0
One of the most prominent features of any home is the windows. If they are well maintained, they will have a positive impact on the impression potential buyers have of your property. Of course, the opposite occurs when your windows look old and worn.
So, does that mean you should replace your windows?
That depends on a number of factors. Window replacement can be an expensive renovation. Here are a few things to consider before making your decision.
• Do you see water infiltration or mildew on the interior sides of any of the window sills? This means that moisture is creeping in from the outside, and you need to get those windows repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
• If your windows are double-paned – (two panes of glass) – check for any signs of moisture in between the glass panes. Moisture indicates that the thermal seal is broken and, at a minimum, the glass will need to be replaced.
• Take a look at your windows from the outside. Is the trim rotted or cracked anywhere? Are there dark spots or any signs of rotting on the wood frames? Repairs or replacement may be required.
• Check the operation of your windows. Do they open and close easily? Some windows, such as those in bedrooms, are often designed to be big enough to use as an exit in case of a fire. It’s important to make sure those work properly.
• Finally, are you happy with how your windows look? Do you feel that your property will look significantly better with new windows?
Although they are expensive, replacing windows can have a lot of advantages. Depending on the efficiency of your current windows, replacing them could cut your energy costs by 10-20%. In addition, new windows block out more exterior noise, making your home quieter.
Want more tips on increasing the value, and enjoyment, of your property? Call me today.
This article was excerpted from my August 2018 IXACT Contact Newsletter.
106 total views, 4 views today